When Anette and Ian Corder of Corder Family Wines (corderwines.co.za) entertain, their menu makes the most of the amazing fresh produce available in the Elgin valley
- 12–16 free-range chicken thighs
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 125ml white wine
- 1 loaf ciabatta, to serve
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 30ml grainy mustard
- juice of 2 lemons (retain the lemon halves)
- 15ml dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 45ml olive oil
1. To make the marinade: mix together the mustard, lemon juice, thyme, bay leaves, garlic and olive oil. Place the chicken pieces in a container, cover with the marinade and marinate, overnight if possible.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer in a casserole dish and add the red onion wedges. Pour over the marinade and arrange the lemon halves on top.
3. Gently pour the wine into the dish (in one corner, so you don’t wash away the marinade).
4. Roast in the oven for about 1½ hours. After about 30 minutes, check there’s enough liquid in the dish. If not, add a little more wine.
5. Place the ciabatta in the oven to heat 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Slice it before serving with the chicken.
This recipe serves 6 – 8.