Entertaining this Halloween? Try these delicious pumpkin recipes
*Prepare roulade just before serving
For the roulade:
- 60g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin
- ¼ t freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
For the filling:
- 60g finely chopped shallots or spring onions
- 45g butter
- 500g finely chopped fresh or frozen, squeezed and firmly packed cooked spinach
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 200ml béchamel sauce
- 1T freshly chopped dill
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cream – if necessary
To make the filling:
1. Cook shallots in butter over moderate heat in a large frying pan, stirring constantly for about 2 mins or until soft.
2. Add spinach and toss in the pan for 3-4 mins.
3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
4. Stir in ricotta cheese and béchamel sauce.
5. Add dill and season well.
6. A small amount of cream can be added at this point if the mixture is too dry.
To make the roulade:
1. Grease a 25cm x 30xm Swiss roll pan and line the base with greased wax paper.
2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add flour, and stir constantly over heat for 1 min.
3. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the milk.
4. Return to high heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens.
5. Stir in pumpkin, nutmeg, cheese and egg yolks and transfer mixture to a large bowl.
6. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form and fold lightly into pumpkin mixture.
7. Spread mixture gently into prepared pan and bake in a hot oven for 10-12 mins or until puffed up and golden brown.
8. Turn roulade on to a clean tea towel.
9. Carefully remove wax paper and spread evenly with filling.
10. Holding tea-towel with both hands, gently roll roulade from the longer side.
11. Lightly dust with paprika and serve warm.
This recipe serves 10-12 people