Entertaining this Halloween? Try these delicious pumpkin recipes
- 1 pumpkin, about 5kg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 60g butter
- 1 ½ cups freshly toasted breadcrumbs
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 100g grated gruyere cheese
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 100g grated goat’s milk cheese
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cream
- ½ T chopped parsley
- 1 cup lightly fried bacon bits (optional)
1. Select a good tureen-shaped pumpkin.
2. Wash and dry it and cut out a lid from the top and set aside.
3. Scoop out seeds and stringy bits.
4. Season inside lightly.
5. Gently cook the onions in the butter until soft.
6. Stir in the breadcrumbs.
7. Add salt, nutmeg, pepper and the three cheeses and spoon into the pumpkin cavity.
8. Pour enough stock to almost fill the pumpkin. This will vary according to the size and shape of the pumpkin.
9. Add the bay leaf and cover the pumpkin with its lid.
10. Place in a deep casserole dish filled with water and bake at 200C for about 1 hour or until the flesh begins to soften.
11. After the first hour start scraping pumpkin from the sides of the shell and incorporate this into the breadcrumb and cheese mixture,
12. Continue cooking for another ½ hour and again scrape and incorporate the rest of the pumpkin into the mixture.
13. Reduce heat to 180C and cook for a further ½ hour.
14. Remove from oven and fold in cream, parsley and bacon bits.
15. Remove bay leaf and season well to taste.
16. Serve hot from the shell.
This recipe serves 8-10 people