Entertaining this Halloween? Try these delicious pumpkin recipes
For the pastry:
- 175g flour
- 125g frozen butter
- 25g crushed pecan nuts
- 25g castor sugar
- 3T cold water
For the filling:
- 500g pumpkin flesh
- 125g castor sugar
- ½ t freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ t grated ginger
- 300ml single cream (save 2T for topping)
- 3T whisky
- 3 eggs
- 125g brown sugar
- 50g butter
- 2T cream
- 500g whole pecan nuts
1. Sieve flour into a bowl.
2. Grate frozen butter into the flour.
3. Using a fork to work the mixture together, add the crushed nuts and the castor sugar.
4. Add the cold water and continue working together until you have a dough which just about holds together when pinched.
5. Press pastry into a 23cm pie dish and leave to rest for 10 mins.
6. Line pastry with silver foil and scatter a handful of beans or rice to keep foil weighted down.
7. Bake blind at 200C for 10 mins.
8. Remove beans and foil and bake for a further 5 mins.
9. Cook and puree pumpkin and allow to cool.
10. Stir in the nutmeg, ginger, cream and whisky.
11. Whisk eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy and fold into the mixture.
12. Pour into pastry shell and bake at 190C for 40-45 mins until set and golden.
13. Mix topping ingredients together.
14. Spread over the cooked pie and glaze under a hot grill.
15. Serve warm with whipped cream.
This recipe serves 8-10 people