At home Antonia De Luca’s cooking style echoes that of her restaurant, Leafy Greens Café: deliciously fresh and tasty vegan meals. Visit leafygreens.co.za
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3 cups black figs, quartered
- 4 cups rocket
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 45ml soft and creamy vegan ‘cheese’ or goats’ cheese
- 15ml agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
- salt and milled black pepper
FOR THE CREAMY VEGAN ‘CHEESE’:
- 3 cups cashew nuts
- 2 cups water
- 15ml nutritional yeast (available at health stores)
- 1/8 red onion, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 5ml olive oil
- salt, to taste
TO MAKE THE CREAMY VEGAN ‘CHEESE’:
1. Place the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend, on high, until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into jars and chill in the fridge to firm up. This ‘cheese’ lasts up to 5 days in the fridge and freezes well; it has the texture of runny cream cheese.
This recipe makes 4 cups of creamy ‘cheese’.
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and toss lightly, until just combined. Season to taste and chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
2. Transfer to a dish and serve.
This salad serves 6-8.
RECIPE: ANTONIA DE LUCA