Heike Taschner-Jeske of Spiced Coffee Restaurant (ludwigroses.co.za) devised this special, rose-themed menu to celebrate the launch of event planner Otto de Jager’s namesake rose
- 1 packet puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100g blue cheese, crumbled
- 50ml sweet chilli rose sauce or sweet chilli sauce
- 100g goats’ cheese, crumbled
- 50ml fig jam
- 100g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 100ml rose hip preserve
- fresh rose petals, salad leaves and strawberries, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease a muffin pan.
2. Cut the pastry into 12 squares and place one in each compartment in the muffin pan, keeping the shape square. Brush the border of each pastry case with beaten egg. Prick the base with a fork to stop it from rising so that there’s space for the filling. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the pastry cases from the oven. Fill each pastry case with a different kind of cheese; reserve a little of each for sprinkling on top. Fill 4 cases with blue cheese, adding 1t sweet chilli sauce to each one. Fill 4 more with goats’ cheese, adding 1t fig jam to each of these. Fill the remaining 4 with Parmesan cheese, adding 1t rose hip preserve to each of these.
4. Top with the reserved cheese and bake for about 3–5 minutes. Serve garnished with salad leaves, strawberries and fresh rose petals.
This recipe serves 4.