Who says cooking a French meal needs to be a fiddly affair? This two-course menu is both delicious and simple to prepare
- 1 packet all butter puff pastry, defrosted
- cake flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 15ml sundried tomato pesto
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 300g mixed tomatoes, halved
- 5ml sugar
- black pepper
- 100g black olives, pitted
- 15ml fresh thyme leaves
- 8 anchovy fillets
- green salad
- mustard vinaigrette
- baby rocket
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Unroll the pastry on a clean surface dusted with a little cake flour. Roll it out until it’s big enough to cut out a round (use a medium-sized dinner plate as a template). Using a sharp knife, lightly score a 5cm border and fold over the pastry to create a raised rim around the edge.
3. Transfer the tart case to a greased baking sheet. Brush the rim with the beaten egg and prick the centre with a fork.
4. Spoon the pesto over the base of the tart case and top with the garlic slices.
5. Toss the tomatoes, sugar, black pepper, olives and thyme together in a bowl and arrange in the tart case. Place the anchovies on top of the tomatoes.
6. Bake for 20–25 minutes until golden.
7. Garnish with the baby rocket and serve with a leafy green salad dressed with mustard vinaigrette.
This recipe serves 6 – 8.