Claire and Fiona Ras of Sprigs The Food Shop (sprigs.co.za) present a globally inspired festive menu with an exotic twist
- 1 small onion, sliced
- pinch saffron
- 2,5ml ground cinnamon
- 2,5ml ground ginger
- 2,5ml ground cardamom, crushed
- 30ml olive oil
- 4 de-boned quails (or 8 de-boned chicken breasts with skin on)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
For the sweet and sour syrup:
- 80ml verjuice
- 30ml pomegranate molasses
- 15ml lemon juice
1. Combine the onion, saffron, cinnamon, ginger, ground cardamom and olive oil. Spread over the quails or chicken, cover with cling film and set aside for 30 minutes or marinate overnight in the fridge.
2. To make the syrup: bring all the ingredients to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes or until syrupy, then set aside.
3. Heat a grill pan to medium-high. Insert two wooden skewers in a criss-cross fashion into each quail and grill for 5 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. (Chicken portions can be grilled without skewers.)
4. Remove the skewers, cut each quail in half and serve them drizzled with the syrup with a wedge of lemon.
Cook’s tip: The quails are great cooked on the braai.
This recipe serves 8.