Make the most of the apples and pears readily available at supermarkets and fruit shops this month. Here’s a selection of recipes from Tru-Cape you’ll want to try
For the prawn marinade/paste:
- handful fresh basil leaves
- handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 3cm peeled fresh ginger
- 2 stalks fresh lemon grass
- juice of 1 lime
- 1T palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 fresh chilli, finely sliced
- 1t fish sauce
- 1t sesame oil
- 24 large peeled prawn tails, skins in tact
For the lime dressing:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 red chillies
- 2T palm sugar
- 2T fish sauce
- 1t grated lime zest
- juice of 3 fresh limes
- 6 firm Beurre Bosc pears
To make the prawn marinade/paste:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a pestle & mortar or food processor (except for the prawns).
- Mix the prawns with the paste, then steam them in a basket or colander until just cooked (about 5 minutes). When cooked, immediately remove from the heat and leave to cool, uncovered.
To make the lime dressing:
- Mix the garlic and chillies in a pestle & mortar. Add the palm sugar and fish sauce and grind to a paste.
- Add the lime juice and zest and mix. Taste and adjust the quantities of lime, palm sugar and fish sauce to suit your palate.
- Finely slice the pears, removing the cores. Toss in the lime dressing to prevent browning. Set aside.
- Pile the dressed pear slivers onto 6 plates and top with steamed prawns.
(This recipe serves 6 people)