When Anette and Ian Corder of Corder Family Wines (corderwines.co.za) entertain, their menu makes the most of the amazing fresh produce available in the Elgin valley
FOR THE PASTRY:
- 250g cake flour
- 125g butter
- pinch salt
- 45ml sugar
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 25ml water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 eggs
- 45ml sugar
- 500g smooth cottage cheese
- 100ml cake flour
- 100g dried cranberries, raisins or sultanas
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 250ml sour cream
- strawberries and/or blueberries
- icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. To make the pastry: sift the flour into a bowl. Rub the butter into the flour then stir in the salt and sugar. Add the egg yolk and water mixture and combine to make a stiff dough.
3. Grease a 200mm loose-bottomed cake tin and line it with the pastry.
4. To make the filling: beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy. Fold in the cottage cheese, cake flour, cranberries, grated lemon rind and juice and the sour cream.
5. Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake for 45–60 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cake inside to cool down.
6. To serve: remove the cake from the tin and place it on a cake stand. Garnish with the berries and sieved icing sugar.
This recipe serves 6 – 8.