These fabulous recipes from Shelley Higgs who started The Midlands Gourmet Food Company with her husband Dave are easy to make and the perfect accompaniments to a dinner party
- 250ml cake flour
- 3ml salt
- 5g sachet active dried yeast
- 30ml fresh chopped herbs (rosemary and/or thyme)
- 1ml cayenne pepper
- 2ml sugar
- 15ml olive oil
- 80ml luke-warm water
- Maldon salt flakes or coarse ground salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Combine the flour, salt, yeast, herbs, cayenne pepper and sugar in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre. Mix the oil and water together and pour into the well.
- Mix to a soft dough and knead for 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for about 45 minutes until double in size.
- Roll out onto a floured surface and roll into a cylindrical shape about 4cm in diameter. Cut into 1cm slices. Roll out each slice into a long strip 1cm thick.
- Sprinkle a little coarse salt onto a dinner plate and roll the strips in it, shaking off any excess.
- Place the grissini on a lightly greased baking tray. Bake on the middle shelf for 12–15 minutes until golden and cooked.
This recipe makes 18–20 grissini