Entertaining this Halloween? Try these delicious pumpkin recipes
- 1T butter
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g sliced mushrooms
- 1kg lean mince
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup freshly chopped basil leaves
- 2T snipped fresh chives
- 2T chopped fresh parsley
- 2 x 410g tins plum tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large decorative pumpkin
1. In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan lightly sauté onions and garlic.
2. Add mushrooms and stir gently until liquid is absorbed. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan, brown the mince in batches over low heat.
4. Stir in onions and mushroom mixture and add carrots, herbs, tomatoes, stock and wine.
5. Season well and simmer for 25 minutes.
6. Cut lid out of pumpkin and scoop out seeds.
7. Butter inside of shell and fill with mince mixture.
8. Place in a round ovenproof dish with water and bake at 180C for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
9. As the pumpkin cooks, gently scrape flesh from sides and mix with mincemeat.
10. Depending on the size of the pumpkin it may take longer than 2 hours for the flesh to soften.
11. Serve hot from the shell.
Cook’s note: This dish can also be cooked over hot braai coals.
This recipe serves 8 people.