- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 50g butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups ground almonds
- ¼t mace (or nutmeg)
- ½ cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- salt and white pepper
- 2T toasted slivered almonds
- chives or parsley, chopped
- Spanish bread or ciabatta
- Sauté the celery and garlic in the butter until soft. Add the chicken stock, ground almonds and mace.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30–40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for an hour at room temperature.
- Blend the mixture well to make a smooth creamy soup. Return it to the saucepan and add the cream and warm through without boiling. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup hot sprinkled with toasted almonds and chopped chives or parsley accompanied by the Spanish bread or ciabatta.