Naas and Jenny Ferreira often invite friends to share a relaxed lunch on the veranda overlooking the magnificent gardens of their Cape wine farm, Klein Optenhorst (kleinoptenhorst.com)
- 375ml chicken stock, strained
- 250ml tomato cocktail
- 1 litre plain yoghurt
- 250ml cream
- salt and freshly milled black pepper, to taste
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 30ml salt
- chopped chives, to serve
1. Mix the chicken stock, tomato cocktail, yoghurt and cream together. Season to taste and chill.
2. Put the cucumber in a colander and sprinkle the salt over it. Place the colander in a bowl and chill for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain the cucumber well and pat dry in a clean dishcloth.
3. Place the cucumber in a serving bowl or divide amongst individual serving dishes. Pour the chilled yoghurt mixture over the cucumber and garnish with chopped chives.
This recipe serves 8–10.