Influenced by her famous food and wine-loving family, Tanja von Arnim, Marketing Manager of Delaire Graff Estate (delaire.co.za), relishes cooking relaxed dinners at home for her friends
- 2T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- sea salt and freshly-ground
- black pepper
- 3 sprigs of fresh oregano, chopped
- 6 sweetcorn cobs, husks removed
- 600ml full cream milk
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 2–3T cream, to taste (optional)
- 420g can of sweetcorn
- 200g smoked salmon trout, sliced into ribbons
- 2 avocados, diced
- juice of 1 lemon and onion spouts, to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large pan; add the onion and some salt and black pepper. Sweat for 6–8 minutes until soft. Stir in the oregano and increase the heat to high. Sauté for 2–3 minutes, stirring frequently until the onion turns lightly golden.
2. Cut the corn from the cobs and add to the pan; pour in the milk and top with enough of the vegetable stock to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the corn is tender.
3. Blend the soup with a hand-held liquidiser or in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pass the soup through a sieve into a bowl, pushing through as much of the sweetcorn as possible. Return the soup to the pan. Check the seasoning and add the cream, if desired.
4. Add the drained canned sweetcorn to the soup (this gives it a great texture) and reheat before serving.
5. Place the soup in serving bowls with the smoked salmon trout and avocado. Garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice and onion sprouts.
Wine suggestion: Delaire Chardonnay 2008.
This recipe serves 6 – 8.