Renowned chef Philippe Wagenfuhrer (082 085 2883) serves up a gourmet feast
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 porcini or chicken stock cubes
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 4 tins butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 3ml smoked Maldon salt
- 500ml cream
- 200g butter
- 250g brown mushrooms, finely sliced
- 250g oriental mushrooms, sliced
- 2 spray bottles of Airspuma Porcini Mushroom Foam*, to serve (optional)
- Shake o’Cini Porcini wild mushroom powder*, to serve (optional)
1. Pour the olive oil into a pot and sweat the chopped onions on a medium heat until light golden brown, add the garlic cloves and cook for a minute.
2. Add the stock cubes and melt to caramelise slightly, then pour in the chicken stock and stir rapidly to deglaze the pot.
3. Add the butter beans and bring to the boil for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat and season with salt, then add the cream and butter. Using a hand blender blitz to a smooth consistency and then stir in all the mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes.
4. Pour into serving bowls and spray Airspuma on top of the soup just as you serve; add a little shake of porcini wild mushroom powder to intensify the flavour.
*Chef’s note: Airspuma Foam and Shake o’Cini can be found in select supermarkets. If you can’t source these ingredients, drizzle a little fresh cream on top of the soup and add a few snipped chives.
Wine suggestion: a Chenin Blanc, like Rudera Chenin Blanc.
This recipe serves 10 – 12.