This tasty and nutritious soup from Mindful Eating by Izelle Hoffman, R350, Penguin Random House, will be a hit with the whole family.
2T olive oil
4 x 410 g tins butterbeans, drained and processed or blended until smooth
8 cups unsweetened almond milk
2t crushed garlic (heaped)
4t almond flour
5t Oryx desert salt
1t ground black pepper
1T dried rosemary
6T raw honey
zest and juice of 2 lemons
100g spinach, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
4 large carrots, sliced
2 handfuls chopped fresh Italian parsley
FOR THE OVEN-ROASTED CHICKPEAS
2 x 410g tins chickpeas, drained
1T olive oil
½t Oryx Desert Salt
¼t ground black pepper
pinch dried parsley
1. Spray a large saucepan with non-stick cooking spray. Add all the soup ingredients and bring to the boil over low heat, stirring regularly.
2. Cook for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the soup is lovely and thick.
3. While the soup is cooking, preheat the oven to 220°C and spray a baking tray with non-stick cooking spray or line with baking paper.
4. Rinse the chickpeas and pat dry with paper towel.
5. Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and stir in the oil, salt, black pepper, paprika and parsley.
6. Spread the chickpeas on the greased baking tray and bake for 15–25 minutes until crispy.
7. Serve the soup sprinkled with the oven-roasted chickpeas.