Twin sisters Lebo and Tebo Ndala have more than a facial resemblance in common, they also share a passion for food and cooking. Try this Thai butternut soup from their cookbook, Food Stories, R350, Human & Rousseau.
2T olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2T ginger, minced
1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
1½kg butternut, cubed
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tin (400ml) coconut milk
1 bunch fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
1. In a heavy-base saucepan, heat the oil, add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes until translucent.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and nutmeg. Stir for 5 minutes.
3. Add the butternut, 1 cup of the stock, the coconut milk and coriander. Simmer for 30 minutes with the lid closed.
4. Add the rest of the stock. Adjust the seasoning and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the butternut is soft.
5. Purée the soup with a stick blender until smooth.
6. Serve garnished with the extra coriander.