Potatoes can easily feature as the main ingredient in a variety of dishes. Here we share a few interesting recipes, from Potatoes South Africa
- 50g butter
- 1 leek, the white part only and thinly sliced
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1kg potatoes, peeled, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 200ml crème fraîche
- 1T lemon olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 100g Swiss chard, washed and torn
- crusty bread, to serve
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the leek, onion, celery and garlic and cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender but not coloured.
2. Add the potatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add enough stock to cover and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Purée the soup in a blender until smooth, then pass through a fine sieve into a large saucepan and re-heat over low heat until warmed.
5. Add the crème fraîche and stir to combine.
6. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper.
7. Heat lemon oil in a frying pan, add the washed and still wet Swiss chard and cook until just wilted.
8. Divide the cooked Swiss chard among serving dishes, ladle over soup and serve immediately, drizzled with a little extra lemon oil, and crusty bread served separately.
This recipe serves 4 people