This pocket-friendly Italian feast is sure to be a crowd pleaser
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 15ml fresh thyme leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 15ml lemon juice
- 2 x 425g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Few reserved cannellini beans
- Flat-leaved parsley, chopped
- Lemon zest
- Ciabatta, sliced and toasted
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and leeks. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
2. Add the potato, stock, thyme, bay leaves, lemon juice and cannellini beans (reserve a few for garnish). Increase the heat, stir and cover.
3. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the potato is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Allow to cool slightly and remove and discard the bay leaves. Place half or all of the mixture (depending whether you’d prefer a smooth or chunky soup) into a blender and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and heat through.
5. Serve in bowls topped with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, the reserved cannellini beans, flat-leaved parsley and lemon zest accompanied by hot slices of toasted ciabatta.
This recipe serves 4 people