Try Leozette Roode’s vegan version of this popular dish from her cookbook The South African Vegan Cookbook, R315, Human & Rousseau.
TRY THIS WITH YOUR VEGAN LASAGNE: Moroccan orange and pomegranate salad
½ green pepper, seeded and chopped
500g egg-free tagliatelle
1T B-Well Canola Oil
60ml unsweetened soya milk (to mix with cornstarch)
1 packet Knorr Thick White Onion Soup
800ml unsweetened soya milk
1 cup Violife for Pizza vegan cheese, grated
1 tomato, sliced into 8 thin rings
FOR THE MINCE
1t B-Well Canola Oil, for frying
1 white onion, chopped
1t garlic, minced
2 x 380g Fry’s Meat-free Mince
1 gravy sachet (comes with Fry’s mince)
½t Robertsons Mixed Herbs
½t Robertsons Dried Origanum
1t fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
4 dried bay leaves
1 tin (400g) Miami tomato, basil, garlic and origanum (or use regular chopped tomato and onion mix)
50g tomato paste
TRY THIS FOR DESSERT: HEIN VAN TONDER’S VEGAN FRUIT CAKE
1. To make the mince, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and fry until translucent. Add the garlic and fry until slightly browned. Remove from the heat.
2. Add the mince and mix through the onion and garlic mixture. Add salt to taste. Put back on the heat and turn to medium. Add the gravy spice, mixed herbs, origanum and rosemary. Add the bay leaves to the pan. Fry until all the mince is cooked. Add the can of chopped tomato and mix through. Add the tomato paste and cook through. Remove from the heat and set aside. (Taste your mince mix: every tomato and onion-mix tastes different.)
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cut the green pepper into small cubes, set aside.
4. Cook the pasta according to instructions. Rinse with cold water, then drain and drizzle with the oil, Set aside.
5. Mix the cornstarch with the 60ml unsweetened soya milk until dissolved and set aside. In a saucepan, mix the onion soup powder with 800ml room temperature soya milk until all the powder is dissolved. Place on high heat and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer the mixture, add the cornstarch mixture and cook until the sauce is thick, whisking continuously. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Spray an ovenproof dish with cooking spray. Spread one layer of tagliatelle on the bottom. Add a layer of mince mix. Sprinkle half the green pepper over the mince mix. Repeat: pasta, mince, green pepper.
7. Pour the sauce evenly over the dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Add slices of tomato as garnish (1 per block). Bake for 20–30 minutes.