Last updated on 18 Oct 2017
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 oranges
- 1 packet mixed salad leaves
- 4 dried figs or prunes, chopped
- 125g pomegranate seeds
- 45ml flaked almonds, pine nuts or pistachio nuts, toasted
- 1–2 radishes, thinly sliced (optional)
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5ml Dijon mustard
- 5ml paprika
- 5ml ground cumin
- 15ml honey
- 45ml red wine vinegar
- 45ml olive oil
- Salt and milled black pepper, to taste
- Make the dressing by whisking the garlic, mustard, paprika, cumin, honey and vinegar together. Gradually add the olive oil, a little at a time, until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and milled black pepper.
- To make the salad, place the sliced onion in a non-metallic bowl and cover with some of the dressing. Allow to stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Peel and slice the tops and bottoms off the oranges and cut into slices or segments, as desired. Add any additional orange juice to the onion mixture.
- Arrange the salad leaves on a serving platter and top with the oranges and onion. Add the chopped figs or prunes, pomegranate seeds, nuts, and radishes, if using.
- Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad and serve.