- 125ml cake flour
- 80ml sugar
- 45ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5ml baking powder
- 1ml salt
- 60g butter, melted
- 90ml milk
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 30ml chocolate spread
- 20g chocolate chips
FOR THE TOPPING
- 20ml cold strong coffee
- 5ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- whipped cream or crème fraîche
- cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and whisk together using a fork.
2. Place the butter, milk, egg and vanilla in a jug and whisk to blend. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Divide the mixture between two microwave-proof mugs or cups and top with the chocolate spread and chocolate chips. These will sink during cooking.
4. To make the topping, mix the ingredients together until smooth and pour over the top of each cup
5. Place the mugs in the centre of the microwave and cook on 70% power for 40–65 seconds* or until the cakes rise to the top; the edges look set but the middle still looks slightly wet and shiny.
6. Allow to stand for 1 minute and top with some whipped cream or crème fraîche and a dusting of cocoa powder. Eat at once.
Cooking time depends on microwave power and duration. Note, the longer it cooks, the more cake-like the molten mug cakes will become.