- 60ml cake flour
- 15ml ground paprika
- 5ml smoked paprika
- salt and milled black pepper
- 8 chicken portions, skin on
- 45g butter
- 15ml oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 5ml sugar
- 1 x 410g can diced Italian tomatoes
- 500ml chicken stock or water
- 1 x 410g tin chickpeas, drained
- 250ml sour cream
- 30ml flat-leaf parsley or
- coriander, chopped
- oven-roasted vegetables
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Combine the flour, paprika and smoked paprika in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and gently toss to evenly coat in flour mixture.
3. Heat the butter in a heavy-based, heatproof casserole and brown the chicken, in batches, for 5–10 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
4. Return the casserole to the stove and heat the oil. Gently cook the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Return the chicken to the pan with the sugar, tomatoes and chicken stock or water and bring to the boil.
6. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 45 minutes.
7. Stir in the chickpeas and sour cream and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
8. Scatter the fresh herbs over the top of the casserole before serving with the oven-roasted vegetables.