This tasty stir-fry platter is ideal for spur-of-the-moment occasions.
120ml brown sugar
30ml fresh lime juice
45ml Thai fish sauce
30ml light soy sauce
2 stalks lemongrass,
30ml vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
15ml fresh ginger, finely grated
1–2 fresh red or green chillies, thinly sliced
500g chicken fillets, thinly sliced
100g cashew nuts
1 bunch spring onions, thickly sliced
100g green beans, cut into thirds
½ red pepper, sliced
milled black pepper, to taste
basmati rice, cooked
toasted black and/or white sesame seeds
1. Combine 60ml of the brown sugar, the lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and lemongrass, mixing well.
2. Heat half the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Cook the garlic, ginger and chilli for 1 minute.
3. Add the chicken, cashew nuts and remaining brown sugar and fry for about 2–3 minutes.
4. Add the spring onions, green beans and red pepper and cook for 3–4 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and the vegetables just tender.
5. Increase the heat, discard the lemongrass, add the lime juice mixture and cook for about 1–2 minutes.
6. Serve with the basmati rice garnished with sesame seeds.