Classic easy-to-make French-style dishes that your guests will love
- 15ml avocado oil
- 15ml butter
- 8 chicken pieces, skin on
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced into crescents
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 60ml dry white wine (optional or use chicken stock)
- 375ml chicken stock
- salt and milled black pepper
- 10ml fresh tarragon or dill, chopped
- 10ml Dijon mustard
- 30ml grainy mustard
- 125ml crème fraîche
- lemon wedges
- seasonal vegetables
- crusty bread (optional)
- Heat the avocado oil and butter in a heavy-based casserole.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown, about 3–4 minutes per side. Transfer them to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and cook over a medium heat for about 4–5 minutes.
- Add the sliced fennel and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat, add the wine and cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Return the chicken pieces to the casserole and add the chicken stock.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce the heat and cook on the stove top or in a moderate oven for 20–25 minutes.
- Stir in the tarragon or dill, Dijon mustard, grainy mustard and crème fraîche and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges, seasonal vegetables and crusty bread, if desired.