Comfort food with a twist is just what you need to counteract the cold.
DOWNLOAD SHOPPING LIST
FOR THE FILLING
2 x 410g tins pears, drained and roughly chopped
1 x 410g tin apples, drained and roughly chopped
45ml brown sugar
10ml ground cinnamon
60g sultanas and/or raisins
60g dried figs, chopped
FOR THE NUT TOPPING
100g butter, cold and cubed
100g cake flour
50g brown sugar
100g chocolate chips
100g pecan nuts, chopped
icing sugar, for dusting
cream, custard or ice cream
1. To make the filling, toss all the ingredients together and arrange in one large, greased ovenproof baking dish, or in 6 or 8 individual dishes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. To make the nut topping, rub the cold, cubed butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Roughly stir in the oats, sugar and milk. Add the chocolate chips and nuts to the mixture and spread over the fruit layer.
5. Bake for 25–35 minutes for the large one, 15–20 minutes for individual crumbles or or until the top is crunchy and golden.
6. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar and cream, custard or ice cream.