Comfort food with a twist is just what you need to counteract the cold.
DOWNLOAD THE SHOPPING LIST
45ml cake flour
30ml + 15ml oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled
10ml ground cumin
5ml dried mixed herbs
few stalks fresh rosemary
125ml dry red wine (optional)
750ml beef stock
12 baby onions, peeled
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
3 celery stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
12 baby potatoes
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Toss the oxtail in the cake flour and paprika until well coated. Shake off the excess.
3. Heat 30ml oil in a heavy-based casserole and brown the oxtail pieces all over. Remove the oxtail and set aside.
4. Return the pan to the stove and gently fry the chopped onion and garlic for 7–10 minutes.
5. Increase the heat and stir in the cumin, mixed herbs, rosemary and red wine and cook for 3 minutes. Return the oxtail to the casserole and add the stock. Bring the oxtail to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 2½ hours.
6. Heat the remaining 15ml oil in a pan and brown the baby onions.
7. Add the baby onions, carrots, celery and baby potatoes to the oxtail, stir, cover and return to the oven for 1–1½ hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with the risotto-style samp.
CLICK HERE FOR RISOTTO-STYLE SAMP RECIPE