Last updated on 18 October 2016
Make the most of the apples and pears readily available at supermarkets and fruit shops this month. Here’s a selection of recipes from Tru-Cape you’ll want to try
- 2 Tru-Cape Packham’s Triumph pears
- 1T butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3T olive oil
- 1t ground cinnamon
- ½t ground ginger
- 4 ostrich steaks (about 250g per person)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 250ml apple or pear juice
- 1-2t flour (optional)
- 1-2t butter (optional)
- Peel each pear, core and cut into 6 wedges. Heat the butter in a pan and fry the pears until golden brown on each side.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in another pan and fry the chopped onion over medium heat until soft.
- Add the two spices and fry for another minute, stirring. Remove the onions and turn up the heat to high.
- When the pan is very hot add the ostrich steaks. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, seasoning with salt & pepper while cooking. Remove the steaks from the pan and leave to rest on a plate, then add the apple juice to deglaze the pan.
- Thicken the sauce with a little flour and butter, if needed, using a whisk to break up any lumps. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
To serve: cut each steak into strips, arrange the pears between the slices and cover with the sauce.
(This recipe serves 4 people)