This easy-to-make hummus platter is ideal for spur-of-the-moment occasions.
FOR THE HUMMUS
45ml cold water, more if necessary
30ml extra virgin olive oil
2,5ml ground cumin
2–3ml sea salt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
45ml lemon juice
1 tin (400g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
FOR THE TOPPINGS
100g bocconcini or 1 fresh mozzarella ball, torn
150g cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 small red onion, peeled
45ml pine nuts, toasted
100g black olives, pitted
45ml fresh basil leaves, torn
3–4 pita breads, toasted
lemon wedges (optional)
1. To make the hummus, place the tahini, cold water, olive oil, cumin, salt, crushed garlic and lemon juice in a food processor. Purée until smooth.
2. Add the chickpeas and blend until smooth. Add a little extra water if the hummus is too thick.
3. Taste and season with additional salt, ground cumin, or lemon juice if needed.
4. Cover and refrigerate until required.
5. To serve, spoon the hummus onto a serving platter. Arrange the toppings over it and serve with toasted pita breads and lemon wedges, if desired.