This tomato and roasted red pepper soup is a delicious, meat-free dish the whole family will love.
TOMATO AND ROASTED RED PEPPER SOUP
5ml + 30ml olive oil
2 red peppers
2 red onions, peeled
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly sliced
10ml smoked paprika
3ml cayenne pepper
2 tins whole peeled tomatoes
6 sundried tomatoes, softened in warm water
500ml vegetable or
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
olive oil, to drizzle
green pesto (basil or coriander)
reserved roasted peppers, if desired
1. Preheat the oven to grill.
2. Rub 5ml olive oil all over the red peppers. Place them on a baking tray and grill for 2–3 minutes a side, turning frequently until the skin blisters and is charred.
3. Transfer the peppers to an ovenproof bowl and cover with a plate to allow them to steam. As soon as they’re cool enough to handle, peel away the skin and discard the seeds. Set aside.
4. Heat the remaining 30ml olive oil in a pot and gently fry the onions for 5 minutes.
5. Add the garlic, carrot, celery, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Add the remaining ingredients and the grilled red peppers. Bring to the boil and simmer for 12–15 minutes, or until the carrot and celery have softened.
7. Allow to cool then liquidise with a blender or handheld blender until smooth. Reheat and season to taste.
8. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, pesto and reserved roasted red peppers, if desired, and serve with flatbreads or seed crackers.
RECIPES AND STYLING LYN WOODWARD PHOTOGRAPHS CHRISTOPH HOFFMANN
ALSO SEE: CARROT AND GINGER LENTIL SOUP