Try this tasty chicken liver pâté from For Friends & Family, by Nicky Stubbs, R385, (Human & Rousseau) when hosting your next dinner party
- 30ml butter
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g chicken livers, defrosted
- 30ml brandy or sherry (or chicken stock if preferred)
- 10ml dried mixed herbs
- 5ml salt
- Pinch each of pepper and nutmeg
- Fresh herbs, e.g. Italian flat leaf parsley or sage, for garnishing
- Extra 100g butter, melted, for topping
- Heat the 30ml butter in a frying pan.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes until transparent and aromatic.
- Add the chicken livers and cook for a couple of minutes on each side. Do not overcook. They should be lightly browned but still a little pink in the middle.
- Add the brandy, herbs, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pack the pâté into one serving dish or individual ramekins and smooth over.
- Place a leaf of parsley or sage on top of the pâté and pour over the melted butter in a thin layer.
- Allow to cool and serve chilled.
(Makes 2 generous cups)