Former Miss South Africa Sandy de Bruin delights in creating a magical setting in which to serve a memorable festive lunch
For the fish and salad:
- 50g cake flour
- salt and black pepper
- 5ml fresh herbs, finely chopped
- 12 baby soles, filleted
- 50g butter
- 200g baby salad leaves
- 100g fresh asparagus spears, blanched
- 100g grapes, halved
- 50g pomegranate arils, lemon wedges, chives and fresh dill or fennel, to serve
For the dressing:
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 15ml castor sugar
- 45ml olive oil
- ground black pepper
1. Combine the flour, salt, black pepper and herbs together and spread out onto a plate. Dip each fish fillet in the flour mixture and dust lightly, shaking off any excess. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the sole for 2–3 minutes on each side. Transfer them to a plate and keep warm.
2. To make the dressing: whisk all the ingredients together.
3. To assemble the dish: toss the salad leaves, asparagus, grapes and salad dressing together and arrange on serving plates. Top each with two pieces of fish. Scatter the pomegranate arils, chives and dill over the top and serve with lemon wedges on the side.
This recipe serves 6.