Inspired by ingredients from far-flung places, Sarah Graham relishes the chance to be adventurous in the kitchen.
YOU’LL ALSO LOVE: FENNEL AND FISH TRAYBAKE
- 1–2T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1t each of ground cumin, dried coriander and dried chilli flakes
- 1–2t medium-strength curry powder
- ½ stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 15ml fresh root ginger, roughly peeled and grated
- 1 tin peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2t sugar, or to taste
- 4 hake fillets, roughly chopped
- 1 medium-sized bag half-shell frozen mussels, defrosted and well-rinsed
- 1 cup butternut, peeled, cubed and cooked
- 2T each of fresh parsley and coriander, chopped
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- basmati rice tossed together with a few toasted almonds and chopped coriander leaves, to serve
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat and then add the onion. Stir for about 2 minutes and add the spices, garlic and ginger.
2. Stir for a further minute then add the tinned tomatoes. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the coconut milk and sugar to the tomato mixture and check the seasoning.
4. Add the hake fillet pieces, mussels and the cooked butternut, put the lid on the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Check the seasoning again, add the herbs and then serve with basmati rice.
This recipe serves 4.