The key to this dish from Simply Zola: The Journey Continues by Zola Nene (Penguin Random House) is making sure that the vegetables are all thinly sliced so that everything cooks at the same time.
The mild liquorice notes that the fennel gives the dish is delightful and pairs well with the fish.
100g thin-stemmed fresh asparagus
4 courgettes, sliced lengthways
4 patty pans, sliced fennel bulb, sliced (reserve the fronds)
5ml fennel seeds
4 x 200g fish fillets of your choice
2 limes, one thinly sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: SPICY FISH CAKES WITH CUCUMBER RELISH
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Arrange the asparagus, courgettes, patty pans and sliced fennel on a large baking tray.
3. Drizzle with olive oil and scatter with fennel seeds (reserving a few). Roast in the oven for 15 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
4. Place the fish fillets on top of the roasted vegetables, followed by the slices of lime.
5. Squeeze the juice of the remaining lime over the fish and vegetables, season to taste and scatter over the reserved fennel seeds.
6. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
7. Garnish with the reserved fennel fronds before serving.
Simply Zola: The Journey Continues by Zola Nene (Penguin Random House)