Enjoy the last of summer’s bounty with this healthy dish.
400ml water or vegetable stock
boiling water, for blanching
1 can black beans, drained
1 red onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
150g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Mediterranean cucumber, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 lime, finely grated zest and juice
45g coriander, chopped
60ml French salad dressing
1–2 fresh red or green chillies,
salt and milled black pepper
sour cream (optional)
1. Place the quinoa in a pan and cover with the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15–20 minutes. When tender, drain and set aside.
2. Blanch the mealies in the boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
3. Heat a griddle or frying pan until hot, alternatively use a hot braai, and grill the corn for 1–2 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted and charred.
4. When cool enough to handle, cut the corn off the cobs.
5. Place the quinoa, corn and the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Toss lightly to combine.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature with lime wedges and sour cream, if desired.
*COOK’S NOTE For a non-vegetarian meal, serve the salad with grilled chicken pieces or kebabs.