Demi Deruyter serves an alfresco lunch for special friends at her home in Modderfontein, Jo’burg. See the full menu in our November issue, on shelf now.
8 chicken breast fillets
flour, for coating
60ml olive oil
juice of one lemon
300ml chicken stock
50–100ml brine from the capers
fresh parsley or chives
1. Butterfly the chicken breasts by cutting then horizontally into 2 even pieces.
2. Pound the chicken breasts between 2 layers of cling wrap and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Just before they are about to be fried, dredge them in flour.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 100g butter and add 30ml olive oil. When the butter and oil starts to sizzle, cook half the breasts for about 3 minutes on each side. Once browned transfer them to a plate. Add the rest of the butter and oil and fry the remaining breasts.
4. While the pan is still hot add the lemon juice, capers and brine. As this starts to boil add the chicken stock.
5. Allow the sauce to simmer for 5 minutes. Don’t overcook as the sauce will reduce.
6. Return the chicken breasts to the pan, coating each side in the lemon sauce.
7. Serve garnished with fresh parsley or chives.