Former Miss South Africa Sandy de Bruin delights in creating a magical setting in which to serve a memorable festive lunch
- 2kg prime rib (ask your butcher to French trim it)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- few sprigs fresh rosemary
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 15ml olive oil
For the herb crust:
- 30g fresh basil
- 20g fresh coriander
- 20g fresh rosemary
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 125g bacon, chopped (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 400–500g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30ml wholegrain mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Use a sharp knife to make small incisions into the beef. Insert a slice of garlic and a sprig of rosemary into each slit. Place the meat into a roasting pan and roast for 1–1½ hours.
2. To make the herb crust: combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Add a little water, if necessary.
3. Remove the roast from the oven and pack the herb crust over the top. Arrange two rows of the mushroom slices in a single layer on top of the crust. Brush with olive oil and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
This recipe serves 6.