This interesting menu by Marc Shotland and Quique Sanchez will bring the whole family together this summer
- 6 whole chicken fillets
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125ml buttermilk
- 50g dried porcini mushrooms
- 80ml boiling water
- 30ml sherry, optional
- 15ml + 10ml + 30ml olive oil
- 1 very large onion, finely sliced into rings
- 250g assorted mushrooms, quartered
- 200g Rosa tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- salt and milled black pepper
- 5ml sugar
- 30g butter
- 80g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2ml dried Italian herbs
- small handful of fresh herbs like rocket, parsley and basil
- Place the chicken fillets, garlic and buttermilk in a glass dish. Coat the chicken evenly in the mixture, cover and place in the refrigerator until required.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow them to stand for 10 minutes to let the mushrooms soften. Drain and place in a clean bowl covered with the sherry, if using.
- Heat 15ml olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion until it’s translucent, then reduce the heat and cook for 15–20 minutes or until the onions have caramelised. Set aside. Add the assorted mushrooms to the pan and fry for 3–4 minutes or until cooked. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Place the tomato halves in a small baking dish cut-side facing up, drizzle with 10ml olive oil and season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar. Bake for 10–15 minutes or until they’re sticky and roasted to your liking.
- Heat 30ml olive oil and the butter in a large pan. Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any excess. Brown the chicken fillets for 2–3 minutes per side and place the fillets in a single layer in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Season the fillets to taste and top with the porcini mushrooms, onions and baked tomatoes.
- Mix the Parmesan cheese and dried herbs together and sprinkle over the top of each fillet. 8. Bake, at 190°C for about 10–12 minutes, or until the chicken fillets are tender. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the fillets to rest for 5 minutes. Serve each fillet on a bed of polenta (see recipe overleaf), surrounded by the mushrooms and fresh herbs.
This recipe serves 6 people