For Chelsea Atherstone, when it comes to entertaining, nothing beats relaxing around a braai with friends. Find more of her delicious recipes in our February issue.
1 medium to large chicken
1 lemon, quartered
200g soft butter (not melted)
FOR THE RUB
2T brown sugar
½t cayenne pepper
1t black pepper
½t ground coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Stuff the lemon quarters into the chicken’s cavity and set aside.
3. Mix all the rub ingredients together. Mix the spice rub with the soft butter.
4. Carefully rub some of the spiced butter underneath the skin and the remaining butter over the entire chicken, making sure that every inch is covered.
5. Tie the chicken drumsticks together with string, if desired.
6. Roast the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, depending on the size. Insert a skewer or sharp knife into the chicken. If the liquid that comes out is clear, then it’s cooked.
7. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes before carving.