This appealing dessert tastes as good as it looks, plus it’s really easy to make
110g castor sugar
250ml thick cream
3ml sea salt
3ml vanilla extract
500ml full cream milk
3 gelatine leaves or 15ml gelatine granules
125ml thick whipping
80g milk chocolate, shaved or roughly chopped
1. Place the sugar in a heavy-based pan and cook without stirring, over a medium heat until it starts to turn a caramel colour, about 5–6 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat, add the cream and whisk to combine (it will bubble rapidly). Return to the stove and cook over a low heat. Stir in the salt and vanilla and set aside.
3. In a separate pan, heat the milk until boiling and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
4. Cover the gelatine leaves in cold water and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Drain and squeeze out any excess water. Stir the gelatine into the hot milk and whisk into the reserved caramel sauce.
5. Divide the mixture among six ramekins, cups or dariole moulds. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to set.
6. If using dariole moulds, unmould onto serving plates. Serve topped with whipped cream and chocolate.