Thanks to her abundance of garden grown produce, gardener and Instagrammer, Jill Mettler, whose garden is featured in our June issue, has something different on her table every day. Here are some of her recipes.
1 pack of all-butter puff pastry (2 x 30cm squares)
6T tomato chilli jam, onion marmalade or caramelised onions
300g goat’s cheese or white cheese of choice, crumbled or sliced
5 large or 8 medium tomatoes, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Herbs such as basil and oregano
Olive oil, for drizzling
1. Heat the oven to 190°C.
2. To make the base, gently stretch the pastry squares to form a circle.
3. To make the filling, spread the pastry circles with jam of your choice leaving a 2cm rim bare around the edge of the circle.
4. Distribute the cheese evenly over the preserve and top with tightly packed slices of tomato. Season with salt and pepper and your favourite herbs.
5. Fold over the pastry edges so that they just cover 2cm of the toppings and drizzle with olive oil.
6. Bake in a preheated oven till golden brown and puffy (40–45 minutes).
*COOK’S NOTE Serve as a light meal with a side salad, for breakfast, or a savoury afternoon tea treat.