Franck Deroche of Blairgowrie, Jo’burg shares some of his favourite French recipes. Spoil mom this Mother’s Day by setting a beautiful table and serving these flavoursome dishes
- 4 duck breasts
- salt and pepper
- green beans
- store-bought berry coulis or onion jam
- Make incisions in the skin of the duck breast with a sharp knife. Season the skin with salt and pepper.
- Heat the pan on the stove to a medium to high heat. Cook the duck skin side down for about 8–10 minutes depending on the thickness. Make sure the fat doesn’t burn. The skin should render the fat and be golden brown and crispy. Cook on the other side for a few seconds.
- Remove from the heat and let them rest for 4–5 minutes on a board before serving.
- Serve whole or cut them into 1cm-thick slices, skin side up with the gratin dauphinois and steamed green beans, accompanied by the coulis or onion jam.
(This recipe serves 4 people)