Last updated on 18 October 2016
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled
- 3T lemon juice
- 125g soft butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1t ground cinnamon
- ¼t ground cloves
- 225g self-raising flour
- ½t salt
- a handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roughly grate the apples, discarding the cores. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Sift flour, salt and spices into the mixture and fold in gently.
- Lastly, fold in the apples, then spoon into a greased 20cm round springform cake tin and sprinkle the walnuts over.
- Bake for 1 hour in the pre-heated oven or until golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm with whipped cream.
This recipe serves 8-10 people