Delicious dessert recipes from Tru-Cape
- 6 firm, ripe pears
- juice of a lemon mixed with about 1 litre water
- 500ml water
- 250ml port
- 300ml sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- peeled rind of ½ orange
- Peel the pears neatly and place them in a bowl of lemon juice mixed with water (to prevent discoloration).
- Combine 2 cups water with port, sugar, cinnamon stick and orange rind. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the drained pears and simmer until they are just tender.
- Remove from the heat, then cool in the syrup, turning them over every hour until cool. Serve with cream or ice cream. Store covered in the fridge.
(This recipe serves 6 people)