Make the most of the apples and pears readily available at supermarkets and fruit shops plus earn bragging rights with this delicious panna cotta recipe from Tru-Cape
For the pannacotta:
- 2t castor sugar
- 1t gelatin
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 2t runny honey
- 3 large ripe forelle pears, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2t fresh lime juice
For the red wine syrup:
- 500 ml red wine
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- Mix together the caster sugar and gelatin.
- Heat the cream and honey very gently over low heat, do not boil. Add the sugar mixture and keep stirring until the gelatin has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the diced pear and lime juice together to prevent browning, then divide it between 6 small glasses.
- Gently pour in the cream mixture.
- Place in the fridge to set – about 2 hours minimum. This can be made a few hours before serving.
To make the red wine syrup:
Pour the wine into a saucepan. Add the sugar and the spices and bring to a boil, stirring regularly. Turn down the heat to low and simmer to the consistency you desire, then remove from the heat and leave to cool. Remember: the syrup will thicken on cooling, so don’t reduce it too far.
To serve: remove panacotta from fridge and drizzle with red wine syrup on top.
(This recipe serves 6 people)