For the meringues:
- 4 egg whites
- 4 x 200ml caster sugar
- 4t vanilla extract
- 4t vinegar
- ½T baking powder
- boiling water
For the topping:
- 100g pistachio nuts, set aside a few for garnishing
- 500ml whipping cream
- 1½ cup caster sugar
- ½t cinnamon powder
- 50g dark chocolate shavings
To make the meringues:
- Preheat oven to 120°C.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff gradually adding the sugar at the same time.
- Continue whisking while adding the vanilla, vinegar, baking powder and a little boiling water.
- The mixture must look thick and glossy.
- Place the mixture in a piping bag with a round nozzle, pipe mini disc shapes 3cm apart on the baking tray.
- Bake at 120°C for 4 hours, remove and leave to cool.
To make the pistachio topping:
- Heat the nuts in a pan, toasting them for 3 minutes then roughly chop them and set aside.
- Whip the cream until thick and firm, adding the caster sugar and cinnamon. Fold in the nuts, keeping some for decoration.
- Dollop spoonfuls of cream mixture on each meringue.
- Sprinkle a few nuts and chocolate shavings over the top and serve.
(This recipe makes 24 mini Pavlovas)