Brookdale’s “Heavenly and Healthy Flavours” cookbook proves that healthy eating can be exciting and delicious. It’s full of recipes that focus on whole, unprocessed and home-made foods
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
For the coconut cream:
- 400ml tin coconut cream, chilled overnight
- 2t vanilla paste or extract
(Whip coconut cream and vanilla and return to fridge).
For the meringues:
- 2 egg whites
- 110g castor sugar
- 5ml cornflour
- 4T desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar one T at a time, beat until the sugar dissolves between each addition.
- Fold in cornflour and 2T of coconut. Spoon mixture onto baking tray or use a piping bag to pipe mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 120 degrees and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Turn off oven and allow to cool (in the oven).
- Layer coconut cream, strawberries and meringues in small glasses, sprinkle with remaining coconut and serve.
(This recipe serves 12 people)