Brookdale’s “Heavenly and Healthy Flavours” cookbook proves that healthy eating can be exciting and delicious. It’s full of recipes that focus on whole, unprocessed and home-made foods
- 2 cups cooked brown & wild rice
- 1T butter
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1T balsamic reduction
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- ½ cup Danish feta, cubed
- ½ cup shelled pistachio nuts or pine nuts or almonds
- 2T flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2T mint, chopped
- ½ cup fresh or dried peaches or apricots, chopped into small cubes
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- Himalayan rock salt & ground black pepper
- micro greens
- When cooking the rice use 1 part grain to 3 parts water. Cook until all the water has been absorbed then set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan melt butter on low heat, add the onion and cook until just soft.
- Stir balsamic reduction into cooked onions and allow to cool.
- Mix the caramelised onions into the rice.
- Add spring onions, feta, nuts, herbs, peaches and pomegranate seeds. Season to taste.
- Gently toss all the ingredients together and garnish with micro greens.
(This recipe serves 4 people)