Last updated on 18 October 2016
Brookdale’s “Heavenly and Healthy Flavours” cookbook proves that healthy eating can be exciting and delicious. It’s full of recipes that focus on whole, unprocessed and home-made foods
- 2 cups cooked brown & wild rice
- 1T butter
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1T balsamic reduction
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- ½ cup Danish feta, cubed
- ½ cup shelled pistachio nuts or pine nuts or almonds
- 2T flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2T mint, chopped
- ½ cup fresh or dried peaches or apricots, chopped into small cubes
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
- Himalayan rock salt & ground black pepper
- micro greens
- When cooking the rice use 1 part grain to 3 parts water. Cook until all the water has been absorbed then set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan melt butter on low heat, add the onion and cook until just soft.
- Stir balsamic reduction into cooked onions and allow to cool.
- Mix the caramelised onions into the rice.
- Add spring onions, feta, nuts, herbs, peaches and pomegranate seeds. Season to taste.
- Gently toss all the ingredients together and garnish with micro greens.
(This recipe serves 4 people)