Last updated on 24 October 2016
For the brownies:
- 2 large eggs
- 115g unsalted butter
- 200g granulated sugar
- 2t vanilla extract
- 21g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8t salt
- 1T liquid/gel red food colouring
- ¾t white vinegar
- 95g all-purpose flour
For the cheese swirl:
- 224g cream cheese, softened
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½t vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20cm) baking pan with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- To make the brownies, beat the eggs together in a small bowl and set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter gradually, 30 seconds at a time, until it’s melted.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, food colouring and vinegar in that order, mixing after each addition.
- Fold in the flour until completely incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and set aside.
To make the cheese swirl:
- With a handheld mixer on medium speed, beat the softened cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract in a medium bowl for about 1 minute until completely smooth.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the top of the prepared brownie batter. Use a fork to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake at 180°C for 45minutes until firm.
(This recipe makes 24 cheesecakes)